We had our next follow-up with Dr. Roberts (the neurosurgeon). He said Davis is "amazing!" His words! We agree. He said that he's never seen such a thing! So far, physically he's developing ahead of other "normal" kids his age, we're still shunt free, and he thinks we'll stay that way! He said that if he makes it to 6 months of age without a shunt, he'll LIKELY NEVER NEED ONE!!! Of course it's always a possibility, but I like the odds! Davis will have another MRI in December, and we'll see Dr. Roberts again then as well...just to be sure. However, his eyes are good, his development it good, he passed all his "neurological screens," and his soft spot is still sunken and soft...just as it's supposed to be. Yay! He also confirmed something a nurse recently told me; that those with spina bifida who are not cathed (bladder), typically do not have the latex allergy, and are no more likely to acquire it than you or I. He recommended that we continue to not feed him the foods on the latex list (banana, pear, kiwi, and avacado), and keep him from latex for now, and we'll do testing later. He said as soon as he's old enough, they will send him to an allergist for skin testing for those particular foods, and latex itself. He said if all is negative, we have nothing to worry about! He didn't say how old he needed to be for that. I go see my allergist in October, I'll ask him. Someone told me they think it's 2 years of age. We will see. He said Davis' actual spinal defect was so low, the actual spinal cord was not affected at all. Only a couple of nerves, which appear to be bladder (possibly bowel) related. His actual bladder function is normal, but the sphincter that gives him the ability to hold it appears to be "loose." He said the same thing the urologist said...we'll worry about that later! :) So, overall, another FANTASTIC report! I've said it before, but I LOVE Dr. Roberts...more so every time we see him. I also love that he always has good news!
Now, PICTURES!!
Since he turned 5 months on Mommy's birthday, Daddy took our picture together!
Sitting up! This was the night he sat for the 30 seconds.
He needs no help "standing." Balancing is another story. :)
He just took the 2 steps for the first time. He could NOT figure out what Mommy and Daddy were so excited about!!
I didn't realize my computer rotated this picture. Sorry. He plays with his ladybug and this ball all the time. Even in his sleep! :)
Watching football! We still do tummy time, but have to alter it to keep him there. His neck is fine, but we want to make sure his back is strong. Can't crawl with "noodle back" and he's trying so hard to crawl! His legs have it down, it's the arms and back that are holding him back. I love it!
More sitting practice. I bought this car before he was born, and he has fun in it. When he gets tired, he leans over and chews on that mirror.
Sweet boy! We are so blessed!
Again, because many of you ask...specific prayer requests:
-FEEDING!!! He is supposed to be taking 6 ounces every 3-4 hours. He takes next to none. We're able to put 5 in the tube. (It's all he will tolerate.) Please pray he starts taking 5 by mouth! The doctor said since we have started adding extra calories, they would be happy with the 5!
-His head! We want to stay shunt-free.
-His bowel/bladder function. Again, fine for now, but we are unsure of what the future holds.
-His FEEDING!
-His parents sanity! (This is a big one!)
-The whole "childcare" situation. We need to find a place for him. I would prefer it be an individual who either keeps him here or in their home, or a home daycare. He'll get more attention that way. I feel better knowing someone is able to love on my baby when he needs/wants it!
Thank you all for your prayers! We know how blessed we are and love our miracle baby more than we could ever express!








No comments:
Post a Comment