Friday, November 13, 2009

16 Weeks

As of yesterday, we are 16 weeks! Though the all day, every day headache continues; the all day every day "morning" sickness appears to be a thing of the past! Praise the Lord! That was getting old! The baby is now approximately 4 1/2 inches long and weighs about 3 1/2 ounces. We have an avacado! :) Not many changes this week, other than just getting bigger. He/she now has eyelashes and eyebrows, and even though the eyelids are still sealed, the eyes are finally working! I'm told that if we shine a light into my belly, the baby will turn away from it. We will likely not be testing that. We can't see (or feel) it moving away, so why torture the unborn. He/she will get enough of that once living on the outside.

I had my 16 week appointment today. No sonogram. This doctor waits until 20 weeks to do the anatomy scan. Since we weren't going to get to see it this time, Brandon didn't go, so my mom went. I'm certain hearing the heartbeat was the highlight of her year! In fact, most of you got a video text of that. The doctor said everything looked good. The baby's heartrate was between 150-160 (as it has been all along). Hopefully the headaches will be going away soon too (she said usually between 16-20 weeks). They did the Penta Screen, also known as a "quintuple screen." It used to be the "triple screen" and then the "quad-screen," but they've added to it in the last few years and many doctors do the quintuple/penta, and I wasn't going to object. The primary things they are checking for are Down Syndrome, Trisomy 18, and Spina Bifida. We should get the results next week. I also got my swine flu vaccine today!!! I think that was the highlight of the visit for me! I fall into the high risk category for so many reasons...pregnant, with asthma, working in healthcare, working with children, and working with medically fragile children at that. A relief for sure!

I scheduled my next appointment for December 4th. We will check to make sure the face, brain, spine, hands, feet, fingers, toes, and ears all look good, THEN we will find out of we are having a boy or girl! Many have asked...and the answer is no, we don't care what it is...as long as it is HEALTHY!! However, Brandon thinks it's a girl. I have absolutely no idea what it is...I am certain it is either a boy or girl, but I have no feeling either way. We shall see in 3 weeks.

Brandon took the 16 week picture yesterday, and only this morning did I realize I was wearing the same thing. Oh well...I suppose it makes it easier to compare! :)


No comments: