Monday afternoon the doctor's office called with the results of my penta screen (also known as a quintuple screen). Everything was negative for Trisomy 18 and Downs Syndrome, but the portion that screens for neural tube defects (like spina bifida) was positive. The neural tube consists of the brain and spinal cord. The worst-case-scenario would be that there is no brain or spinal cord. We know that's not the case, because we've seen both on previous sonograms...that's a good thing! At this point, we know nothing else. The doctor said there is a strong chance that it could be a false positive, but we won't know until we see the specialist next week. Our appointment is Tuesday, December 1st at 1:00pm. We will meet with a genetic counselor, then have a Level II ultrasound (at least we'll get REALLY good pictures). We will definately find out whether it's a boy or girl...and get a perfect picture. :) This has been a hard few days, and we still have nearly a week to go. We appreciate prayers for the baby and for us.
Technically, it's after midnight; therefore, it's Thanksgiving. It doesn't matter what the doctor tells us next week. We are thankful for this baby and will do whatever we need to.
I didn't get around to posting last week at 17 weeks. It wasn't a "picture" week, but supposedly weighed approximately 5 ounces. A baseball weighs 5 ounces and Brandon had to have a picture! :)
Hope everyone has a Happy Thanksgiving! We'll let you know what the doctor says Tuesday. Until then, thank you all for your prayers!
1 comment:
I'm sorry Vesti. I know that everything will turn out ok. For some reason, I think I remember the dr. telling me that it is common to get a false positive on that portion of the testing
Post a Comment